Rural Champions...

On the 19th August it was world photography day which motivated me to look back over my agricultural photography journey from the past 15 years and showcase on my social media pages a selection of my favourite images which I have taken over that timescale.

It was evident from the start of collating the final images that my skill and technique of capturing the rural communities and characters within it had greatly improved over that 15 year timescale with a clear development in the quality of images generated. Photography has always been a love of mine and in particular the documentary style photography in which I try to capture the small moments within the rural landscape which others may not witness as snapshots of times gone by. Even my first ever blog post titled 'Photographing Farming' highlights when and why my passion for agricultural photography began and it's scary to think that all these years later, here I still am with my camera in hand trying my best to catch those special memorable moments.

From attending my local agricultural show I have seen many young children who began their showing days in the young handler classes grow into strong independent livestock farmers who showcase with so much pride the animals they have on display. I have captured generations of family members at rural days out, work as a team to put on the best displays they possibly can to showcase to those not from farming backgrounds the skills and tasks many do not experience on a day to day basis. And, I have tried my best to capture the individuals who may be hesitant in getting their pictures taken, who have dedicated their livelihoods to the rugged landscapes in which they farm.

Many of the people I have photographed over these years have worked in the industry and showcased their livestock and produce simply because they love what they do and want to exhibit their livelihoods to those who come and support them. And then there are those individuals who are wanting to give something back to the communities in which they live, who want to entertain likeminded people or community members to support those in need through charitable fund raisers which have an agricultural or rural twist. Some of these individuals have raised thousand of pounds in order to help those who may need it and have been able to give something back in order to strengthen their communities.

Whether it's a colourful prize winning rosette or a large charitable donation, a welcome to an urban stranger or visitor who wants to learn more about the agricultural industry, or a simple catch up with a farming neighbour. These are the rural champions I am proud to point my camera at and document. These are the people who work so hard on preparing their livestock and produce for the shows or machinery for displays, who do not always get a chance to take a step back and photograph for themselves the quality of work they are proud to have produced. Capturing the heritage and legacy of times gone by is a love I hope continues to grow and develop in the years to come. I hope to continue documenting these memories of the unsung rural champions in our industry. I have always had an airy fairy dream in my head to one day put on an exhibition of the photos I have taken in order to give something back to the rural community in which I have grown up. Or to travel a road trip around the United Kingdom taking photos of the rustic working landscape in order to create a book possibly, or some cherished memorabilia. 

With the agricultural summer showing season coming to an end and the fast approaching autumn sales starting to appear, I question where I will want to point my camera lens next. But, until then, below is just a small selection of my favourite images from the past 15 years.

Until next time

Hx




















































Comments

Popular Posts