It's good to be back....
I received a phone call mid November last year (2015). A simple question was asked, and a simple answer was given. I was informed of a timescale and there was no hesitation before my response. The countdown had begun.
Lambing 2016 was my mission and to say I was slightly excited about accepting it and being asked to work for the family again was an understatement, I could not wait to get back there.
On the 28th February at 7pm I was to begin my first shift back on the night lambing duties in Pembroke, South Wales. It was the first job I had after returning from NZ when I was still slightly unsure what I was going to do with myself on my return.
It's scary to think that a whole year has passed since I was here last. Where has that time gone? And it makes me question the things I have, or haven't achieved in that time. But, the main thing is I'm back, and O boy does it feel good.
This time of year is a busy one for many farmers here in the UK. All their hard work and preparation throughout the previous months leads up to this time. For me it's even more enjoyable as it gives me opportunities to work with young livestock again. The feeling of bringing new life into the world is a difficult feeling to describe. To see a new born, and in this case, young lamb, arrive into the world for the first few seconds instantly comes as a relief that all is ok, however a warm, happy sensation also comes over me. I usually give a huge smile and generally always give a little 'welcome to the world' greeting to the newborn, (giggling to myself) thinking how daft that may sound to some people, it's usually always an instant reaction to give.
Within my first week of being here (I'm only here a fortnight altogether) I have been involved in helping giving a demonstration to a local Young Farmers Club (YFC) from Pembroke, about lambing. I'm a strong believer of passing on any knowledge of this industry that I am able to. Similar to the sensation I get of a new born animal being born, it makes me feel happy to be passing on information to individuals who may not be aware about the farming industry. Knowledge of an industry which I believe has been lost over the past number of years with the general public. It's always interesting but also great to hear the different types of questions people ask.
The first week here has gone really quick, too quickly in fact, but I'm enjoying every second and love seeing the young lambs develope over the few days into little characters before they are sent out to the fields. Each lambing is different, and even though I have lambed quite a few sheep over the years, I'm always learning and developing my own skills and experience.
So with only one week left, I am sure it will be as enjoyable as my first. Working nights can be draining and on times slightly tough, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Being out of the office for a fortnight and back in the great outdoors is a truely amazing feeling and it's so so good to be back.
H x






Comments
Post a Comment