Those days...

The humble kitchen table. Where business decisions are made. Politics, sport or memories discussed. Important paperwork filed for a rainy day, and where the emotions of anger, sadness and laughter are shared. It's a safe space. A comfort blanket. It is the heart of every rural home.

When my grandmother passed away in 2019 nearly every person who came to visit my family to share their condolences sat around the farmhouse kitchen table to exchange the fond memories they had of her. A lot of the stories were filled with laughter and almost all of them highlighted the time she had to just stop and be a listening ear when people needed it most. However, for me, the fondest memories of this sad time has to be the fact that everyone remembered her for her famous cups of tea accompanied by a Welsh cake whilst they chatted at the kitchen table. Its the richness of hearing all these stories that filled my heart the most when she passed. She was a lady who valued the time spent with others simply talking about their days, their families and checking they were all ok.

My travels at the end of 2022 reminded me of the value of connections and the basic human interactions we all need. The valued time to just sit, walk or drive whilst talking with others who wish to lighten their loads of their daily woes or exciting achievements. It was something I had been struggling with for some time probably due to the isolation of the Covid pandemic. Or is it the fact that we are now a generation that connects predominately through our technical devices and scrolling screens.

Modern life consists of fast paced days filled with as much activity as impossibly possible, along with documenting everything we do whether that's the food we eat, the gym sessions we carry out or the exciting places we check in to along the way. Our daily time allowance is still the same but our lives are becoming full of extra stuff we all feel we need to do in order to be seen to be fitting in.

Just over 18 months ago I took the decision to take a social media detox. I'd basically had enough of being sucked in to the life of comparing myself to others from their pictures and videos on a number of my social media platforms. The first detox lasted 12 weeks and the only reason I logged back on was because I wanted to share some family photos from a close friends wedding. I learnt a lot about myself in that 12 week break. The way my mind was thinking and the realisation of how often I would reach for my phone just to fill a void when I was bored. I have since carried out two more digital detox's, mainly due to overwhelmed periods in my life. But even though I feel great when I am off my phone, like many others I keep coming back due to the majority of us now connecting with friends and family through our devices rather than taking valued time out for face to face discussions. 

Smoko Stories has been an idea I have been thinking about for a long time. The memories of my grandmother at the farmhouse kitchen table have partly fuelled my determination to just give it a go, but it was the three weeks away just spending quality time talking to both strangers and friends that made me create the first guest post. Smoko Stories is in honour of my grandmother and her love for chatting to friends both new and old around the kitchen table and opening those conversations up to the rest of the world who wish to read them. There are so many inspiring people within our agricultural industry that I wish to give them a platform to share their love of the land like I have done for mine. More importantly than that, its about spending time with people to talk about their day to day lives, their ambitions, their dreams and hopes for the future through good old fashion conversations that don't put a restriction on your word count.

Since the release of the first Smoko Story a number of people have asked why I have not done it as a podcast. My answer is simple. When I personally listen to a podcast I'm usually doing another job alongside it and therefore not necessarily giving it my full attention. Stopping, sitting and spending a short amount of time reading the blog posts allows you as readers to take a rest (Smoko) in this crazy faced paced world in which we now live. The only downfall, unfortunately, I have not gained the trait of drinking tea or coffee like my grandmother whilst I am carrying out these conversations. I did however gain the trait of enjoying a good slice of homemade cake and I hope I have carried on her love of valued conversation with those I get the opportunity to talk to.

To Gran. What I would do to stop and have a Smoko Story with you right now. I'd love to know what seat you are sitting in and the company you are sharing. The cup of choice you are drinking your tea from and the plate you have selected to display the Welsh Cakes. I'd love to hear the stories and conversations you are having and hope they are filled with a lot of laughter and joy. More importantly than that I would love to hear the words of wisdom and encouragement you are sharing with others. One thing I do know for sure is you will be doing it all with the biggest smile on your face and twinkle in your eye.

We can learn a lot from the older generation. The pre social media generations. Those days I look back on were golden and I just hope that I can find the right balance between on line conversations and the more valued face to face ones moving forward. I'm excited to share more guest stories with those of you who wish to stop and read and maybe one day pass on any words of wisdom I may have gained in life to friends I meet both old and new along the way. Quality time and a listening ear can be the greatest memories shared.

Until next time

Hx

Comments

Popular Posts