Connections ~ Hononga
"Toitu te whenua whatungarongaro he tangata"
"The land remains when people have disappeared"
Things happen in life for a reason. Throughout our lifetime we travel through waves of emotional transformations, ups and downs, different roads and journeys, and probably the most important to me, different people we get to meet along the way.
Throughout my farming journey I have always had a dream, a goal, an ambition or whatever you want to bloody well call it however, 2022 was definitely a year that proved to be a challenge in more ways than one. I hit a number of large potholes along the route. It was draining of energy and motivation both physically and mentally and it made me realise early on that I am more vulnerable than I initially made out to be, and as the year went on I questioned if I was really strong enough to realistically achieve these dreams on my own.
Now, this isn't me asking for a knight in shining armour (Christ, one thing 2022 has taught me is that they definitely do not exist anyway, only weirdos with strange fantasies!!) and if I'm honest I don't really know what I am asking for either. Nevertheless, with the hurdles I had encountered in the first nine months of the year I made a decision to book a ticket and leave for some time out to clear my head of all the negativity and gloom in the hope of finding answers which may help.
Quality connections have always been important to me. A book I was reading before I left for New Zealand (yes, my third trip) stated that it is the country people run away to over an over and over again. Maybe that statement is right. Maybe it was another opportunity for me to run away and explore life again. An opportunity to find out if New Zealand had the energy I was missing or needing. However, realistically on this occasion I don't believe I was running away, rather I was trying to figure out what was next for me? I was looking for some inspiration and reminders of why I was chasing the goals, dreams and ambitions I had made for myself at a time when I felt like I had no pulse or feelings towards the industry I was working within. So I made the decision to return to the country where my love for this lifestyle began. An opportunity to catch up with old connections I had previously made, as well as hopefully making new ones along the way.
The blog post Laughter, Music and Moo Moo's which I wrote in 2015, I opened with the description that certain places leave a mark on you and I was right in saying New Zealand has definitely left a mark within me. On arrival in North Island for the first few days of this trip I questioned myself as to what I was hoping to achieve. Was it a long overdue rest for both the body and mind, or was it a longing for a miracle to help answer all my dilemmas? All I kept thinking and telling myself was to take each day at a time and to stop stressing about the unknown.
The businesses and people I was lucky enough to meet on this three week vacation were truly amazing! My first farm tour to Wairere Rams, located not far from Masterton, instantly provided me with the reminder of why I had set the goals for my sheep farming enterprise that I had. The approach, knowledge, mindset and team attitude were exciting to see and hear. I witnessed a job role which would be my absolute dream if I was ever fortunate in finding a similar role. I felt like a fraud being so lucky to have been able to access this opportunity and absorb as much information about each section of the business like a sponge soaking up water. The overall visit gave me the reminder of why I bloody love the challenge and ever changing management of sheep farming and I am extremely grateful for the old and new connections and friends I have made from visiting the number one sheep genetics farm in New Zealand.
The seven farm tours which were to follow all continued to add to the bucket load of positivity I was collecting from this holiday. The contacts from each business were all friendly and welcoming as well as enthusiastic to show me their farms and explain to me their different systems. I visited farms with 10,000 lambs and saw Merino sheep for the first time ever. There was no limit as to how much time each business wanted to share the knowledge and experiences they have endured throughout their own farming journeys. The questions and conversations kept flowing like old friends who hadn't seen each other in years.
The connections I felt with these different people in their home country can only be described as an energy between a community who value the quality of being seen and heard without any judgement. Who were driven in their attitudes towards their goals and ambitions and who were realistic in the approach and timescales they needed to take. I may never see some of these people again in my lifetime, nevertheless, like their country had previously done, they have left a mark on me I will never forget and provided me with new connections I never knew I needed.
I crave to feel inspired and New Zealand gives that to me in a way that's really hard to explain. Every so often I need to be lifted up by the enthusiasm and passion for this industry with a realistic dollop of the hard work and determination that is required to succeed from those who have the knowledge they are willing to share. Each and every trip has provided me with a reward that is hard to put a price on: opportunity and knowledge.
This holiday definitely made me question and evaluate a lot of the challenges I have been facing the past 12 months at home. I have loved the in depth conversations I have encountered about the issues the New Zealand agricultural industry currently has and is facing in the near future, and similar to home they are not all for the better. New Zealand , identical to home is facing some challenging and difficult times ahead however, their mindset and attitude in which they are approaching these changes is the greatest inspiration to me. The Kiwi mindset always has been.
I still bloody love farming. No matter where I am in the world I will always love it, but I am very aware I am unable to do it on my own forever. I don't need a hero to come and do the work for me, I just need a team mate, someone who wants to achieve the same aims as me, who has the drive and true grit to get the work done whilst enjoying, appreciating as well as being grateful for the surroundings they are living and working within. A listening ear to have a yarn with over a drink at the end of a working day or a mentor who is willing to help problem solve issues that arise. Knowledge is power and team work will get you far.
In all honesty, this trip showed me that New Zealand is changing, yet the connections I have made within this country inspire me in a way I can't really describe. The people drive my mindset forward and have encouraged me greatly to keep asking questions to those who can help and who believe in the abilities I envision.
As the Moari quote at the start of this post states, the land will always remain when the people who manage it have disappeared. It may not always be left better than it was found but it will always be beneath the feet of the next generation to take over the reign of farming it or managing it in whatever way they choose. Any knowledge I am able to gather from others throughout my lifetime, from whatever part of the globe I choose to walk, I hope one day I am able to share or even inspire someone who is in need of the motivation I was craving at the start of my trip like the connections of this beautiful country have provided me.
Once again New Zealand, Thank you!
Until next time.
Hx








Comments
Post a Comment