Shear determination...

I have always believed that everyone has a story to tell whether its big or small. 

Growing up my family would always tell me to stop being so nosey when I was asking people questions whilst sitting around the farmhouse kitchen table. My grandmother was the only person who would laugh and simply say that I was just being curious, but there is definitely something about hearing and questioning peoples life stories within the rural community that to this day I love so much.

Back in August I was lucky to be involved in helping promote a fundraising event which a local sheep shearer had challenged himself to. Shearing sheep for 24 hours in order to raise money for two charities close to his families heart. Having the responsibility to capture, document and share his enormous challenge in order for others to be able to view seemed small at the time, however it was the weeks and months which have followed, along with the conversations I have encountered near and far since that have made me realise just how huge and important my storytelling role had been.

Inspired by the event, and a summer season of following the shearing circuit at a number of different agricultural shows and record attempts, I was curious to find out more about the industry and it's history. Shearing time for me at home was only ever a job that needed to be done every year for the health and welfare status of the animals, and it wasn't until I witnessed this fundraiser that I realised the strength that was required both physically and mentally in order to carry out the task on such a large scale.


An Australian photographer was one of the first people I came across who explained the shearing lifestyle in a way that would hopefully educate others. In one of her photos she highlighted that the average shearer burns between 3000-3500 calories a day, compared to most rugby players who burn around 1500-2000 per game. The difference, other than the amount of calories, is the fact the rugby player can rest after each match unlike the shearer who through a busy season can be shearing five, six or even seven days a week back to back. Her work has since led me to find and read a book about the history of the Australian sheep shearing industry from as early as the 1800's. A fascinating read about the difficulties faced not only in the woolsheds but also as an occupation that wasn't well respected in the early years.

Its really hard to put into words the reason, determination and true grit that were displayed in every stroke of the sheep fleeces and hour of the challenge which the shearer took in order to raise as much money as possible for the charities. The best memories will always remain in the minds of those who attended the event, but for me, the fact that I was trusted by others to try and capture as much of the atmosphere and actions as possible and display them in treasured keepsakes for years to come, will remain very close to my heart. Even though I spent the majority of my time watching it through some sort of lens, they are personal memories I will treasure forever.

One of the first posts I wrote for this blog was about my interest in photographers who were able to document the realities of living and working in rural communities. Photographers who were able to capture the lifestyle, characters, grit and passion of those living, working and enjoying their rural surroundings. It feels like I have come full circle back to a hobby I have had from an early age.

On a number of occasions since the shearing fundraiser I have decided to pick up my camera again, and never before have I wanted to document and capture the grassroots identities of the people who farm our land in order to put food on the tables of not only our nation but also those of others worldwide more than I have wanted to do it now. In a world where reality TV stars and social media influencer jobs appear to be of greater importance than those who work hard to keep our country running annoys me greatly. The shearers role is just one which showcases the resilience of the individuals who manage our landscapes, and is just one character that helps to tell the farming story. 

The farming industry is changing and in the past five years of my current job role I have come across some amazing people who have shared their stories with me, whether they are good, bad, happy, sad, inspiring or alarming. I have spent my life's journey so far meeting many a character who have provided me with a portfolio of stories to tell about how I have come to meet them or remember them by, many of which put a smile on my face.

I've known this shearer a very long time, but for me so far, this is the best story I have to share about him and his passion for his rural community. This is the story  so many strangers have approached me about simply because I was there to document his journey to raise so much money for charity. And now, with my broader knowledge of his industries history, I have found a greater respect for the job role both himself and many many other shearers encounter on a yearly basis. Not only he, but also his support team showed in the darkest hours of the early morning of his 24 hour challenge, why the rural community is unique in its work ethic and friendships. 

We take photos as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone, therefore if I ask you for a picture in the future, please say yes. You have probably inspired me with one of your stories or even better with your personal character within the farming industry that you all know I love so much.

Until next time

Hx


*Shearer - Phil Grove
Event - 24hour Solo Shearathon raising money for DPJ Foundation and Macmillan Cancer Support


Comments

Popular Posts