Discovering, Connecting and Inspiring...
The silent heroes of the land. The strong, decisive, caring and resilient. The mothers, daughters, sisters and friends. They are the women of the land.
Growing up, I have fond memories of many women living and working within my rural community and as a young woman I found myself being surrounded by these loving, determined and family orientated ladies. I was always amazed by the contributions they brought to their homes, businesses and rural landscapes. My grandmother was one of them and there was nothing she loved more than catching up with her rural friends whether that was over a cup of tea or a telephone conversation.
In more recent years I have been given fantastic opportunities to learn, socialise and work alongside some of these inspirational women in both the UK and overseas. It has broadened my respect for these women and the extensive skill set they need to support their families and businesses. Like my grandmother I have enjoyed hearing their stories (some have called us nosy, I prefer to call us curious). I have loved visiting the beautiful landscapes they call home, and most importantly I have recognised their full worth and contribution to this rural industry I love. Agriculture.
However, I have also noticed that these women are hesitant to share the good things they contribute to the industry. They are the backbone of the family farming business, the jewels of the rural communities and I would love for their stories to be shared and celebrated. I was overwhelmed by the feedback and support I received from a recent magazine interview and I can't thank you all enough for the kind and encouraging words you have given me. To be called an inspiration and congratulated for the good work I am doing genuinely felt very surreal. I feel like a fraud as it was only six years ago that I made the nerve racking career change in to agriculture and it is still only the beginning of my farming journey.
I am grateful that this platform has allowed me to share my journey and I owe a great deal of thanks to every single one of you, both male and female who have stood by me, motivated me and inspired me to keep moving forward. However, there has been an idea lurking in the background of my mind for a number of years that I have thought about exploring in order to continue with this blogging journey. A vision I'd like to try and I am hoping you may be able to help me.
From the initial world of negativity I encountered I now would like to create a platform of discovery, connection and inspiration. A platform of positivity, real life stories and empowerment. My journey has shown that there is an appetite for sharing stories of women in agriculture. Discovering these silent heroes. Sharing their stories and connecting them to others within the industry and inspiring the future generations of women of the land. So calling all growers, livestock workers, tractor drivers, housewives, fruit pickers, mothers, daughters, sisters and friends, the list goes on. Lets start a conversation. Lets have an excuse to put the kettle on and dedicate five minutes of our time to read about the female champions of our industry. Lets discover, connect and inspire women of rural United Kingdom by sharing our stories from the land.
You have read my story, I'd like to share your stories.
Our stories.
H x


Comments
Post a Comment