The boys have arrived....

So the Artificial Breeding (AB) or Artificial Insemination (AI) period as I know it by, has come to an end and it's scary to think how quick the last six weeks have gone. It's always the same, that once I feel confident enough doing a new job, it is quickly over and I'm on to the next job role.


As I have previously told you a lovely couple called Peter and Shirley carried out the AB process. Two very knowledgable people who have taught me so much, not only just about the AB process, but also about the New Zealand dairy, beef and lamb industries. Any questions I would have, they would happily answer and it really has been a pleasure to work alongside and learn so much from these amazingly knowledgable people.

Our last AI'ing day was on the 12th December and the day before our bulls arrived, who will now continue the mating process for the next six weeks, so that they can hopefully clear up any cows which may repeat. We have 13 bulls in total for the two herds, however there will only be three bulls with each herd at any time. The rest will be rested until it is their turn to be rotated which we aim to do every other day.



I must admit, these aren't the prettiest looking bulls I have ever seen, but then again they haven't been brought to the farm to look pretty, they have work to do so as long as they perform, that's all that matters.

With the dairy industry here in New Zealand being on such a large scale, I'm sure you can imagine that a lot of bulls are required at this time of the year. But I had a question as to what would happen to them once the mating season had finished? It was an obvious answer, but one I wanted to check. Unfortunately the majority of the bulls will be culled, as next year there will be a new batch of young bulls ready to work, and with the majority of the dairy farmers not picking bulls for certain breeding values, there is no real need to keep them. There are of course some farmers who want certain breeding values for their stock, therefore they may keep their bulls for another year or so, however it is not the case for the majority of New Zealand.


Elsewhere on the farm, the silage has been completed and it was done very quickly. Tractors, trucks and foragers have all been very active around us down the South of New Zealand for the last fortnight or so, and look to continue being busy for the weeks ahead.

The weather has finally picked up and the sun is shining (yayyyy!!!). It's beautiful to see the surrounding landscape in all it's glory when the sun is shining, it definately puts everyone, including the cows, in a happier mood.


The only strange feeling I have at the moment is the fact that Christmas is approaching, yet the sun is shining. I'm so used to being wrapped up in woolly jumpers and scarfs over Christmas, whereas I am now wearing shorts and shades while Christmas songs play on the radio during milking....it's a really strange feeling.

H x


Comments

Popular Posts