Found my first......
Janice and Jono had told me that it would be a great feeling when you actually find one, and it absolutely was. In fact I was surprised how good a feeling it was and I was proud of myself for finally finding one.
I have been milking for nearly three months and am feeling more confident about the process and daily structure we go through to milk the two herds. I have learnt a lot and put into practice the majority of the things I have been taught. However, there has been one aspect I have been struggling to get my head around and part of me felt as though I wasn't understanding it properly therefore I couldn't do it right.
The milk gets collected once a day by Fonterra, the milk company William and Janice's milk goes to. When it's collected a receipt type document is left in the Vat (tank) control box. This small piece of paper informs William and Janice about the amount of solids that have been collected. Solids are the New Zealand equivalent of the UK litres. New Zealand are paid via solids whereas the UK is paid by the litre. The majority of New Zealand milk is put into solids (powder). It also informs them of the daily cell count. This cell count helps them to see if there is a cow with mastitis in the herd. When the cell count increases, they know there's a cow with mastitis and they have to find her so that they can take her out of the herd to treat.
There are certain signs that help you see if a cow is suffering with mastitis. It is then your job to strip (milk) her by hand to see the quarter the mastitis is in. Udders are made up of four quarters, so that's one teet per quarter. The only way I can describe what the mastitis looks like is it's like rice pudding (lumpy milk).
Two days ago our cell count went up so that was our signal to find the cow suffering with mastitis. Janice, Jono and myself had all suspected certain cows, but were all soon found to be wrong. It's a frustrating feeling when you know you have a mastitis cow but your unable to find one.
Today was a great day. The 23rd of October's afternoon milking is a day I'll never forget. We still hadn't found the cow and I kept thinking of all the signals both Janice and Jono had been telling me. But then I noticed a cow that didn't look herself. She stepped onto the platform and a part of me instantly thought I should strip her just incase.
Bingo! It felt as though I had hit the jackpot. I had found my first mastitis cow and Janice and Jono were right, it was an amazing feeling and I was proud.
Amazing day. Amazing moment.
H x




Comments
Post a Comment